Tuesday, January 30, 2018

A life well lived, remembered with laughter


I was touched - and amused - to read the obituary of the late Terry Ward, who died last week.

Terry Wayne Ward, age 71, of DeMotte, IN, escaped this mortal realm on Tuesday, January 23rd, 2018, leaving behind 32 jars of Miracle Whip, 17 boxes of Hamburger Helper and multitudes of other random items that would prove helpful in the event of a zombie apocalypse.

Terry is survived by his overly-patient and accepting wife Kathy, who was the love of his life (a fact she gladly accepted sympathy for during their 48 years of marriage). He is also survived by daughters Rebecca (William) Hines and Jean (Jeff) Lahm; sister, Linda; brother, Phil; grandchildren: Alexander and Hannah Hines (The Mesopotamians), Daphne and Erin Pistello (The Daffer and Peanut), Brendan and Owen Lahm (Phineas and Ferb) and Tessa McMurry (Smiley).

He is preceded in death by his parents Paul and Bernice Ward, daughter Laura Pistello, grandson Vincent Pistello, brother Kenneth Ward, a 1972 Rambler and a hip.

Terry graduated from Thornridge High School in South Holland, IL, where only three of his teachers took an early retirement after having had him as a student. He met the love of his life, Kathy, by telling her he was a lineman – he didn’t specify early on that he was a lineman for the phone company, not the NFL. Still, Kathy and Terry wed in the fall of 1969, perfectly between the Summer of Love and the Winter of Regret.

There's more at the link.  Go read the whole thing.  It's warm-hearted and vibrant.  I hope I'm remembered with as much love and affection, when my time comes.

May Mr. Ward's sins be forgiven him, and may he find eternal rest;  and may those who survive his loss find comfort in the warmth of their memories.

Peter

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read Mr. Ward's obituary yesterday & it brought a smile; I even shared it with a friend. I've since heard that it was written by his daughter (possibly with his assistance, before the fact, of course). Mr. Ward did well if he could raise a daughter who could do that with so serious, personally anguishing event.
I, too, would like to be remembered with as much love & humor. I've always said I want my loved ones to throw a party after my death, not stand around moping--I've gone on to the best possible adventure, & they should be happy for me, as difficult as that can be.
Enjoy Heaven, Mr. Ward, and rest in the knowledge that you've brought a smile to folks who didn't even know you.
--Tennessee Budd

B said...

Just down the road from me (like 15 miles) I didn't know Mr. Ward, but do know folks who knew him.

They say it is pretty accurate, actually.

Anonymous said...

That is a really funny obituary, I'm sure his family will miss him a great deal. Our condolences to them.

Jenn said...

Great obituary. He sounds like a great guy and someone who you could sit and have a beer and chat with.